Monday 8 September 2014

more cutting - rear subframe


As you can see the rear subrame crossmember has now been cut away to make space for the F355 gearbox. The suspension pick up locations are un-affected by the work I am doing so hopefully the finished car will retain the magic Lotus handling, with a lower and more central CofG.

Many of the bars for re-bracing the rear subframe are now cut and profiled, so tomorrow the welding will begin. We are starting with the harness bar which is inch tube, seamless CDS as per MSA rollcage regs. 


I have decided not to run a full cage in this car as the car will primarily be for non-competetive trackday use. The standard roll bar in the Elise chassis is very substantial, and the seats and harnesses I am fitting should offer the driver/passenger significantly better protection than the standard items.

The reason for starting with the harness bar first is to allow me to continue with fabricating the new bulkhead which will sit up against the rear of the bar, and just behind the seats. The bulkhead will be a carbon fibre panel, bonded into place.

Barely visible in the pictures is my new steering wheel, just having a few issues getting the brand new quick release boss to a state I am happy with in terms of free-play. I will post some pictures of the finished wheel in a later update. 

No comments:

Post a Comment