Friday 20 February 2015

more exhaust manifold progress


Now all the the required bends and flanges are here I have been able to really crack on with the exhaust manifolds. 

Started with measuring up the port exits and bolt spacings on the head:

Turned this into a CAD model and printed accurately to scale.



Rather aptly I used the old scrap F355 custom sump pan as the basis for my welding jig. It was easy to machine, I know it is totally flat, and it will act as a nice heat sink when welding. I will just have to be wary of the bore spacing growing during welding due to the thermal expansion of the base plate. Easily rectified by allowing the jig to cool completely between each welding op. = lots of cups of tea and biscuit breaks! ;)




Sectioned each bend shown in the previous post.



Bolted to head with flange to assess the initial leg length and clearances to the surroundings.




The finished jig, and all the manifold parts rested in position. So the finished manifolds should look something like this:




Final welding I hope will be complete within the next couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment