Sunday 1 February 2015

Fuel tank plans

Spent some time this morning sorting out plans for the fabrication of my custom aluminium fuel tank.

Using the original steel tank (which I sectioned at the same time as the chassis) and some cardboard I created a template that the fabricators should be able to use as a jig. 




In parallel to this I knocked up an accurate Pro-E model to check the likely tank volume. It came out at 34.5 litres, This includes allowances made for wall thicknesses but not baffles. That number also does not include any additional fuel volume inside lines and inside the filler neck itself. (The pump will be external to the tank which saves on internal volume also.)

All being considered I think 34 litres+/- 1.0 litre is realistic. 

This should be ok for the mainly short track sessions and possible time attack use that I have planned for the car. I will have to wait and see what the maximum road range will be when pootling along in 6th (6th is geared quite long so it might be reasonable..)

Quick pro-E model. The spigots are:
  • Fuel fill.
  • Vent.
  • Return.
  • One to represent level sender wiring.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment