Monday 15 June 2015

Throttle linkage


So due to the completely custom nature of the engine installation the throttle linkage was going to need some attention.

Firstly I identified that the route of least resistance for the cable, with the largest smoothest bend radii, was going to be down the RHS of the cockpit tub and through the bulkhead, rather than the OE route of down the centre alongside the gear cables and then under the fuel tank!


I purchased the Eliseparts kit as it seemed to get very good reviews and was a decent price. The roller bearing definitely improves the feel and removes some of the slop from the system.


Once I started experimenting with the bits it became apparent that the difficulty was going to be obtaining enough travel at the throttle butterfly end. Eventually I settled on a solution that involved removing the stock pedal stop from behind the pedal, and using the hard contact on the arm to the weldnut to also act as the throttle stop and prevent cable stretch. I had to subtly nibble away at the weldnut and arm in order to:

     1) create slightly additional butterfly travel to enable full throttle.
     2) create a nice even "crescent shaped" contact surface between the two components which shouldn't wear            over time.



The modified arm and weld nut.


Here you can just about see the new cable routing dissappearing along the right hand side of the cockpit tub, rather than centrally.


All nicely painted in black ready for fitment. Note that I drilled a 4th hole for pedal travel just in case. For now I have set the pedal on the furthest hole which is giving quite a long travel, but a really nice smooth operation with probably less pedal effort than standard!

If I decide the travel is a bit too long/not responsive enough for heel-toe action, the other 3 holes will give a more aggressive responsive but with increases in pedal effort. I briefly tried it on hole #4 and it didn't appear too stiff for short term use (less stiff than my old Caterham!!)

Linkage at the engine end for reference. I will try and get a picture of the new cable routing shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment